Myanmar’s Muslims: The Oppressed of the Oppressed – Rianne ten Veen looks at the situation of Muslims in Myanmar (Burma) and discusses their plight within the human rights tragedy of that country.
This report seeks to bring the plight of Myanmarese Muslims to light and guide activists to relevant campaign groups, literature, news and organisations as well as encourage original, new and participatory campaigns. At a time when religion is being demonised and those professing faith – usually Islam – deemed fanatical and by extension worthy of ill-treatment, it is imperative that the cruelty and horror of religious hatred is acknowledged and its victims given due consideration.
- Action Alert: Myanmar – Demand an end to the massacre of Burmese Muslims by Buddhist supremacists – Write to the UN and the Chinese Foreign Minister demanding that they ensure an immediate end to religious hatred in Myanmar targeting Muslims
- Action Alert: Myanmar – Write letters demanding action to save the Rohingya of Myanmar – The Rohingya are being denied basic rights as Myanmar ‘reforms’ ring hollow
- IHRC holds vigil outside Myanmar Embassy in London – IHRC calls vigil to protest the ongoing massacres and persecution of Rohingyas
- Forwarded Alert: Malaysia – Stop the Violence against Rohingyas – A coalition of Malaysian NGOS strongly condemns the recent brutal murder of 10 innocent Rohingyas by the Rakhinese extremists and the failure of the authorities to protect the Rohingya civilian population
- Action Alert: Free Burmese Political Prisoner U Kyaw Min – A prominent Muslim MP in Burma, Mr U Kyaw Min (a) Mr.Mohamed Shamsul Anwarul Haque (55), was arrested by the illegal Burmese Military regime in Rangoon
- Follow events from Myanmar – Journalıst Assed Baig visited Myanmar in April 2013 where he was reporting on events as they unfolded, with more attacks against Rohingyas and other Muslims by supremacist groups. Here are some of the updates that he sent from his trip.
- UN team to visit Myanmar over child soldiers – Reports by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon have accused the army of Myanmar’s military government and ethnic rebel militias, such as Karen groups in the east of the country, of recruiting children to serve as fighters.
- Mandalay massacres worse than originally feared – Buildings were burnt down and the ‘official’ death toll stood at 32, as angry mobs roamed the streets
- Listen to the children – The children’s accounts are vivid and graphic. They all say they saw people hacked into pieces
- Sittwe. Keep out! – We are being followed. Everyone we speak to is then in turn spoken to. We are being watched, our movements, what we buy, what we say, what we eat
- Eye witness accounts of Meiktila massacre; Beaten, burnt and stabbed – IDPs speak out and tell the world of what they witnessed with their own eyes
Internally Displaced Muslims in Sri Lanka: Calls for Greater Attention to their Plight – A look at the plight of an often forgotten minority and issues to do with minority protection in the Sri Lankan conflict.
- Democracy as Domination: Myanmar, Muslims and the Push for Ethnic Hegemony – As Western eyes turn to Myanmar, they do so with a view to a battle for resources with and political alliances against China, as well as (re)gaining footholds in territories they were removed from. The action we take cannot feed into these games anymore. From Arzu Merali
- Comment piece on Myanmar by Yaseen Omar, a UK based commentator – The continued denial of citizenship to Myanmar’s Rohingya lies at the heart of their status as one of the world’s most persecuted minorities. However despite international pressure on the former communist country to introduce democratic reforms, the future for the Rohingya continues to look bleak and bloody
- Vigil outside Myanmar Embassy, London, UK 24 July
- Human rights in Myanmar: Situation of Rohingya ethnic minority Q&A
- UK: Protest for Rohingyas in Myanmar and Thailand
IHRC IN MEDIA:
- World still silent on massacre of Myanmar Muslims: Massoud Shadjareh
- UK-based campaign urges an end to Myanmar violence
- Burma: pipeline plans behind Rohingya cleansing?
IHRC AT THE UNITED NATIONS:
- Myanmar: Oral statement on the brutal discrimination against Rohingya – The Islamic Human Rights Commission would like to bring your attention to the brutal discrimination the Rohingya living in Myanmar are experiencing. The Rohingya are a distinct Muslim ethnic population who are being refused to be recognised as one of the countries main ethnic nationalities and have suffered severe human rights violations by the government of Myanmar since 1948.
- Citizens International Press Release: Stop the Ethnic Cleansing of Muslim Minority including Rohingya in Myanmar
- Press release: UK – IHRC condemns ‘selective’ government human rights report
- Forwarded Press Release: Women & Children Killed and Urgent Action Needed to Stop Attacks against Muslims in Thandwe, Arakan State
- Press Release: Claims of rape in Myanmar deeply troubling
- Press Release: Myanmar / Burma – Eyewitnesses explain brutality of continued attacks against Muslims
- Press Release: Violence in Burma, Spread of Anti-Muslim Hatred
- Burma: pipeline plans behind Rohingya cleansing?
- Press Release: Third Massacre Planned Against Rohingya in Burma
- Forwarded Press Release: Rohingya Need Urgent Humanitarian Aid
- Press Release: Myanmar / UK – Vigil called outside Myanmar Embassy to protest persecution of Rohingyas
- Forwarded Press Release: Global / Myanmar – INTERNATIONAL SOLIDARITY DAY FOR ROHINGYA
- Forwarded Press Release : ASEAN Freedoom Flotilla to Liberate Rohingya to be Launched
- Forwarded Press Release: Stop the Violence against Rohingyas