Islamic Human Rights Commission
25 April 2008
EVENT: London , UK – Human Rights and Israel at 60, Conference, May 4, 2008 11am – 6pm, Free admission
A real world conference about real people and the abuse of their human rights.
This conference features speakers with first hand experience of dealing with and witnessing the abuse of the rights of Palestinians as a result of 60 years of the Zionist project.
Organised by the Islamic Human Rights Commission and NEDA this is a timely reminder that while some may celebrate 60 years of Israel – people of conscience will still object and speak out in support of the oppressed.
Turn up on the day or register online in advance (saves time) by clicking the link https://www.ihrc.org.uk/080504/#reg. You may also call (+44) 20 8904 4222 and leave your name and details or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Rights and Israel at 60: A look at the conflicting paths of two contemporaneous projects
Islamic Centre of England , 140 Maida Vale, London , W9 1QB
4 May 2008
11am to 6pm
2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the founding of the state of Israel and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The Islamic Human Rights Commission\’s conference looks at both projects in a critical and contemporary light. All those interested in human rights and justice from activists, to students and academics are invited to attend and discuss what human rights mean in the context of Palestine-Israel, and what the violation of these rights means of the project of universal human rights.
IHRC researchers will present brief overviews of aspects of international human rights norms like freedom of movement, the right to life, land and water and global progress towards the universalisation of these rights. Those with direct experience from Palestine-Israel are invited to address what the violation of these rights mean in a practical sense.
The panels and speakers include:
· Panel 1: \’What\’s wrong with Self-Determination?\’ Michael Warschawski on the problem of the right of self-determination and its realization as chauvinistic nationalism in state form.
· Panel 2: Residency, Discrimination and House Demolitions including Meir Margalit from the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions.
· Panel 3: Refugees and Return with Daud Abdullah from the Palestinian Return Centre on refugee rights and a paper by Fahad Ansari
· Panel 4: Freedom of Movement with Yehudit Keshet from Checkpoint Watch, on the operation of checkpoints and the paralysis of movement for Palestinians
· Panel 5: Extrajudicial Killings with Jennifer Loewenstein from the University of Wisconsin discussing her experiences in Gaza in the aftermath of extrajudicial killings and Taris Ahmad
· Panel 6: Right to Water with Richard Stanforth from Oxfam and Karin Lindahl.
· Final words – \’What\’s Wrong with Self-Determination?\’ by IHRC chair, Massoud Shadjareh.
Panel Chairs: Shaista Aziz, Shaykh M.S. Bahmanpour, Karen Chouhan, Raza Kazim and Dr. Sibtain Panjwani.
IHRC is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations
Please help IHRC by visiting https://www.ihrc.org.uk/catalog and making a donation or buying an item from our on-line store.
If you want to subscribe to the IHRC list please send an email to email@example.com
If you want to unsubscribe from the IHRC list please send an email from your subscribed email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are reusing this alert, please cite the source.
For more information, please contact the office on the numbers or email below.
\”And what reason have you that you should not fight in the way of Allah and of the weak among the men and the women and the children, (of) those who say: Our Lord! Cause us to go forth from this town, whose people are oppressors, and give us from Thee a guardian and give us from Thee a helper.\”
Holy Qur\’an: Chapter 4, Verse 75
Join the Struggle for Justice. Join IHRC.
Islamic Human Rights Commission
PO Box 598
Telephone (+44) 20 8904 4222
Fax (+44) 20 8904 5183