Forwarded from: foa.org.uk
29 June 2011
Forwarded Alert: UK – Action Alert: Shaykh Raed Salah Arrested in London
URGENT ACTION NEEDED
Shaykh Raed Salah Arrested in London
Shaykh Raed Salaah, the most prominent Arab political leader from Jerusalem and defender of Masjid Al-Aqsa was arrested in London last night at the request of the Home Secretary Theresa May. He may now be deported.
Shaykh Raed has worked tirelessly for years championing the rights of Palestinians both within Israel and the Occupied Territories. He has faced arrest and imprisonment on numerous occasions despite engaging in peaceful activities promoting Arab-Israeli and Palestinian human rights.
Please call/email the Home Secretary Theresa May and request that she reconsider the deportation order. Please raise the following points:
1. Shaykh Raed was visiting the UK on a speaking tour which was to include a meeting in Parliament for MPs. His programmes were openly advertised during the past few weeks. Why did the Home Office not approach the organisers for any clarifications?
2. Shaykh Raed has never been charged with anti-Semitism or any race related charges in Israel. On what basis does the British government then consider him to be “non-conducive to a multicultural society.”
3. Shaykh Raed is one of the most prominent Arab political leaders and was elected as a mayor 3 times. HE IS NOT HATE PREACHER
4. Shaykh Raed has commenced legal proceedings against two British newspapers for the false and potentially libellous accusations they have made against him including claims that he is anti-Semitic. By deporting him the British Government will interfere in these proceedings and deny him the right to clear his name.
5. It appears Theresa May’s actions are not based on clear evidence but rather on hearsay and this is unacceptable behavior from the British government.
Please contact the Home Secretary Theresa May and your local MP:
1. Rt Hon Theresa May MP House of Commons London SW1A 0AA Tel: 020 7219 5206 email@example.com
2. To find out who your local MP is, see here (findyourmp.parliament.uk)
You can also call your MP in Parliament and speak to them directly:
Call 0207 219 3000 and ask for your MP.
NOTE: Please be polite and calm at all times but persevere until you get a response.
Please contact Friends of Al-Aqsa and let us know what response you receive.
Please circulate widely.
Source: http:// foa.org.uk/
Forwarded by IHRC solely for informational purposes, please contact source website for more information
IHRC is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
Please help IHRC by visiting https://www.ihrc.org.uk/catalog and making a donation or buying an item from our on-line store.
If you want to subscribe to the IHRC list please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to unsubscribe from the IHRC list please send an email from your subscribed email address to email@example.com
IHRC is not the author of the above alert, which has been provided solely on an informational basis. IHRC does not necessarily support the views of the author.
IHRC is not responsible for the content of external websites, nor endorses them by providing their link.
If you are reusing this alert, please cite the source.
For more information, please contact the office on the numbers or email below.
“And what reason have you that you should not fight in the way of Allah and of the weak among the men and the women and the children, (of) those who say: Our Lord! Cause us to go forth from this town, whose people are oppressors, and give us from Thee a guardian and give us from Thee a helper.”
Holy Qur’an: Chapter 4, Verse 75
Join the Struggle for Justice. Join IHRC.
Islamic Human Rights Commission
PO Box 598