WHEN: Saturday, 8 September from 7pm – 9pm
WHERE: Nigeria High Commission, London, 9 Northumberland Avenue WC2N 5BX
Organised by Universal Justice Network / Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
7-9 September 2018 mark 1000 days since the Zaria massacre (12-14 December 2015) in Nigeria and the unlawful detention of Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife Muallima Zeenah.
The sheikh’s ordeal began after he was shot along with his wife, Zeenah, and arrested during an orgy of violence unleashed over three days in December 2015 on supporters of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria in what was widely seen as a bid to curb the movement’s growing popularity.
At least 1000 civilians, mostly Islamic Movement supporters, were killed in the attacks and hundreds arrested.
Three of Sheikh Zakzaky’s children were killed in front of him. As a result of the attack during which he was shot Sheikh Zakzaky lost the sight of one eye and the use of one arm. The latest reports say that Sheikh Zakzaky is at high risk of developing acute glaucoma. His personal doctor has recommended he be taken abroad for specialist treatment which is not available in Nigeria. In defiance of a court order demanding the pair’s release Nigerian security services stubbornly refuse to set them free.
The 2015 attack is the subject of a complaint by the IHRC to the International Criminal Court in the Hague. To find out more about the Zaria massacre, read IHRC’s submission to the International Criminal Court HERE
We request Muslims and all peace loving individuals and organisations around the world to join the #FreeZakzaky campaign by doing any of the following:
- Join protests / vigils in your city or contact us if you can help arrange one
- Arrange a Dua programme at your mosque for all those illegally detained especially for Sheikh Zakzaky
- Join the #FreeZakzaky Twitter Campaign on Sunday 09 September 2018 at 17:00 BST
- Share visual content prepared by the campaign on social media
- Join the letter writing campaign by visiting this page HERE, subscribing to the campaign list HERE or contact us directly on email@example.com.
- Request your Imam to mention 1000 Days of the unlawful detention in the Juma Khutba on 07 September
- Take a picture with the message #FREEZAKZAKY with name of your city/ country, if possible in front of a known landmark and share with us & on social media
For more instructions and a model letter/email, please click here