Couple return to Nigeria but where have they been taken by security?
IHRC is deeply concerned regarding the safety and security of Sheikh El-Zakzaky and his wife Mallimah Zeenah who were returned under Nigerian security control to Abuja today from India.
IHRC is calling on the international community and global civil society to demand the Nigerian authorities immediately:
- acknowledge and state the whereabouts of El-Zakzaky and Mallimah Zeenah;
- guarantee their safety and security;
- give them immediate and unfettered access to their own doctors and international medical team;
- give them immediate and unfettered access to their local and international legal team and advocates;
- work towards their immediate travel to a country of their choosing for urgent medical treatment as per the court order of this month;
- work towards their immediate and unconditional release as per the court order of 2016
Chair of IHRC, Massoud Shadjareh said:
“It is time that those elements within the Nigerian government who have privately and repeatedly expressed their embarrassment and shame about this case, to make their feelings known and push the governmental machine, such that it is, to desist in its illegality and release this couple and all those held for their belief and / or conscience.”
For further comment please contact the Press Office on +44 20 8904 4222 or +447958522196 or +447958607475 or firstname.lastname@example.org.[ENDS]
IHRC is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
Islamic Human Rights Commission
PO Box 598
Telephone: (+44) 20 8904 4222