IHRC is calling on campaigners to demand key Muslim countries demand China ends its persecution of the Uighurs [Uyghurs].
IHRC is calling on campaigners to demand key Muslim countries demand China ends its persecution of the Uighurs. Many Muslim countries have key or growing economic ties with China. Please make clear that the economic reasoning behind these ties cannot trump the lives of millions of people.
Reports coming out of China in recent weeks have increased concerns regarding the situation of the Uighur community from Xinjiang province in the north-west. There has been a long history of mistreatment and persecution of the Uighurs, including the eradication of culture and heritage, religious persecution, mass transfers of populations in and out of Xinjiang and political suppression. You can read more about these in IHRC’s eyewitness photo essay and report from 2010.
IHRC has sent researchers this year to assess the veracity of recent reports and they will be publishing their findings soon. Previous work on the situation can be found here.
- This week please write to the leaders of Malaysia and Turkey. A model letter / email and addresses are pasted below. We will be requesting the same next week for another two countries, and the same each week until the end of Ramadan. This week please write to the leaders of Malaysia and Turkey.
- Forward any responses you receive to us on firstname.lastname@example.org so we can develop this campaign further.
- Share this alert and the reports and resources, and encourage others to join this campaign.
- Please ensure you share verified stories and information. Despite this situation existing for decades, mainstream media has only given it importance now, often spreading unverified stories and cases.
- Keep visiting the IHRC Uighur Campaign page for updates on the campaign.
Your Excellency [Name of Leader]
Re: Situation of Uighurs in China
I am sure you are aware of the reports of the mistreatment and persecution of Uighurs in China.
I am deeply concerned about the violation of their rights including their religious, social and political rights. I am sure you will agree that this is an issue of the utmost seriousness, and I look to your government to:
- Make strong representations to China and demand they desist in this behaviour;
- Suspend all economic and other co-operation with China until they stop their policies and begin restitution to the Uighurs.
- Offer your support in providing religious, social and cultural support of Uighur communities inside and outside China.
I look forward to your reply regarding this urgent matter.
Please address emails / letters / faxes to the Prime Minister
Datuk Seri Mahathir bin Mohamad
(via Chief Secretary to the Government of Malaysia
YBhg. Datuk Seri. Dr. Ismail Bin Hj. Bakar)
Fax : 603-8888 3444
or by post
Datuk Seri Mahathir bin Mohamad
Prime Minister’s Office
Main Block, Perdana Putra Building
Federal Government Administrative Centre
Please address emails / letters / faxes to the President
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Fax : (+90 312) 525 58 31
Or by post
Cumhurbaşkanlığı Külliyesi 06560
Please forward any responses you receive to email@example.com.