China: Demand OIC, NAM and African Union take action for the Uighurs
IHRC is calling on campaigners to demand key Muslim countries, non-aligned countries (NAM), the OIC and relevant international organisations demand China ends its persecution of the Uighurs. Many Muslim and non-aligned countries have key or growing economic ties with China. Please make clear that the economic reasoning behind these ties cannot trump the lives of millions of people.
There has been a long history of mistreatment and persecution of the Uighurs, including the eradication of culture and heritage, religious persecution, mass transfers of populations in and out of Xinjiang and political suppression. You can read more about these in IHRC’s eyewitness photo essay and report from 2010.
Reports from this year are the cause of heightened concern.
IHRC has sent researchers this year to assess the veracity of recent reports and they will be publishing their findings soon. Previous work on the situation can be found here.
- This week please write to the Secretary-General of the OIC and the Chairperson of the African Union Secretariat. A model letter / email and addresses are pasted below.
- Forward any responses you receive to us on info[AT]ihrc.org so we can develop this campaign further.
- Share this alert and the reports and resources, and encourage others to join this campaign.
- Please ensure you share verified stories and information. Despite this situation existing for decades, mainstream media has only given it importance now, often spreading unverified stories and cases.
- Keep visiting the IHRC Uighur Campaign page for updates on the campaign, and for past and ongoing actions.
Model letter / email
Dear [Name of President / Secretary General]
Re: Situation of Uighurs in China
I am sure you are aware of the reports of the mistreatment and persecution of Uighurs in China.
I am deeply concerned about the violation of their rights including their religious, social and political rights. I am sure you will agree that this is an issue of the utmost seriousness, and I look to your office to:
- Make strong representations to China and demand they desist in this behaviour;
- Urge your members to suspend all economic and other co-operation with China until they stop their policies and begin restitution to the Uighurs.
- Offer your support in providing religious, social and cultural support of Uighur communities inside and outside China.
I look forward to your reply regarding this urgent matter.
Please address emails / letters / faxes to the Secretary-General
Yousef Bin Ahmad Bin Abdul Rahman Al-Othaimeen
Fax. +966 12 651 2288
By email, visit https://blog.oic-oci.org/contact-us-en/ and check the box ‘Message to the Secretary-General’
or by post
African Union Commisison
H.E. Moussa Faki Mahamat
Postal Address: PO Box 3243 Roosevelt Street (Old Airport Area) W21K19 Ababa, Ethiopia
Tel: +251 11 551 7844
Or by post
P.O. Box 3243
Please forward any responses you receive to info[at]ihrc.org.