World Chechnya Day – Remembrance Service
Thursday 23rd February 2006
Location: Remembrance Service at Yalta Memorial, South Kensington, London SW7 2SL
Nearest tube: South Kensington
Time: 12 – 1.15pm
Distinguished individuals, representatives of Islam, Christianity and Judaism, and members of the community will be holding an ecumenical World Chechnya Day remembrance service, which will include recitals of memories from that day, messages of support from around the world, a minute’s silence, and a commemorative balloon-release.
Speaking at the Remembrance will be:
• Professor George Hewitt – Professor of Caucasian Languages (SOAS), Trustee of MARCCH
• Mrs. Saida Sherif – Chairperson, Save Chechnya Campaign
• Vanessa Redgrave – Actress and Human Rights Activist
• Ahmed Zakayev – Chechen Minister of Culture, Special Envoy of the (late) President Aslan Maskhadov
• Rabbi Jacqueline Tabick – Vice President of the Movement for Reform Judaism
• Revd Father Frank Gelli – Former Curate of St Mary Abbots, Kensington Parish Church. Founder of Arkadash Network for Religious Dialogue.
• Abdur Raheem Green – London Central Mosque
12.00 Gather at the Yalta Memorial
12.15 Opening: Mrs. Saida Sherif
12.20 Vanessa Redgrave
12.25 Professor George Hewitt
12.30 Ahmed Zakayev
12.35 Rabbi Jacqueline Tabick
12.40 Revd Father Frank Gelli
12.45 Abdur Raheem Green
12.50 Recital of Memories
13.09 Minutes Silence
13.10 Balloon Release
You may also view details online at: www.worldchechnyaday.org
For further details and interview arrangements, please contact Hajira Qureshi.
phone: 07861 369 015
IHRC is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
Islamic Human Rights Commission
PO Box 598
Telephone: (+44) 20 8904 4222