Lynne has been released on 31 December 2013. Well done to all campaigners.
Find out more about her case below. Read about her release here, and some thoughts on her release here. Watch an interview with her as she returned to New York here, as well as an interview with her lawyer here.
IHRC urged campaigners to contact the prison where Lynne Stewart is held, and to Lynne herself to show support to this tireless campaigner for justice.
Lynne Stewart was the lawyer for Sheikh Omer Abderrahmane, and was convicted of aiding terrorism by sending messages to Abderrahmane's supporters. She is in her 70s and has terminal cancer. Her campaign, Justice for Lynne Stewart is calling for her immediate compassionate release and IHRC urges campaigners to join the campaign. An action alert with model letters can be found below, as well as links to more information on her case, and the case of Sheikh Omer Abderrahmane.
- Who is Lynne Stewart? (approx 3 minutes)
- Video: Jailed Civil Rights Attorney seek Compassionate Leave, Democracy Now (approx 20 mins)
- CAMPAIGN PACK: Prisoners of Faith - Sheikh Omer Abderrahmane (IHRC) Please note this page and pack are not updated and are provided for information purposes only. An updated campaign pack is forthcoming.
- Write to Prisoners of Faith this Ramadan 2013 (IHRC)
- A Letter from Lynne Stewart on her 74th Birthday (8 October 2013)
Lynne’s Message for November I have fears for Tom Turkey, this year